There are many services out there that are suggesting that they have the keys to the “hidden” job market. I am always dying to ask them that if it is hidden, how come they know where it is – but that’s just the facetious side of me peeking out:)
Well, I have a secret to tell you – I have access to the hidden job market and guess what? So do you!
We all have access – it simply means employing a job search strategy that is proactive and not reactive. It means not waiting until advertised positions appear to go after the job, but you should start creating those job opportunities for yourself.
How do you do that?
- Research and identify at least ten to twenty companies that normally hire professionals with your background and approach the senior manager with a broadcast letter or a “Q” letter to solicit an informational interview.
- Take advantage of the Internet to see who is hiring and follow the above strategy – remember, do not apply online – send your resume in directly to the company in 9 x 11 envelope.
- Develop a job proposal demonstrating how you can add value to the company’s operations, bottom-line performance, and competitive advantage. Show them what they would miss out if they did NOT hire you.
- Maximize online social networks like LinkedIn to make warm contact with strong leads who may be connected to your former colleagues, classmates, friends, family – you get the idea. Somebody always knows somebody who know somebody…
- Start attending regular networking/industry events and conferences to make face time with key players who can provide strategic advice or give you referrals.
It really works - try it!
Abby M. Locke, Executive Director of Premier Writing Solutions (www.premierwriting.com), is a Nationally Certified Resume-Writer and Personal Brand Strategist who helps senior-level professionals and C-level executives achieve personal success with customized, branded executive resumes and career marketing documents.