I am so excited to announce that I completed the Online ID Strategist certification program through Reach Communications. It was a very interesting and in-depth learning course about online identification and brand management strategies - tools and techniques for executives, careerists and entreprenuers.
You should know by now whenever you are seeking a new job, new consulting gig or even a new contract, potential employers and recruiters will do a Google search on your name BEFORE they call you...yes, this occurs more than 85% of the time. Based on the information that they find, they would have already formed an opinion about you - good or bad - by the time they meet you or have a conversation on the phone.
My question to you today is...if they "Googled" your name what will they find? Well, here are some things you DON'T want them to find:
- An outdated or sparse LinkedIn profile
- A link to an unflattering picture of you at a social event or party
- Tons of links to other people with the same name like yours (but none of referring to you!)
- An announcement about your new position from ten years ago
- Links to incomplete social media and social networking profiles
- Offensive comments made by you on highly controversial blogs
- Newspaper or magazine articles that describe and portray you in a negative light
- Absolutely no information or data about you - you don't exist!
As technology continues to define and re-define how we live work and play, think of your Google results as the new millenium resume. If you are not online, get started today.